Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Goodbye Pacific Rainforest, Hello Acadian Forest

Large Douglas fir tree near my previous home on southern Vancouver Island.


In 2014 I moved from the coastal rainforest of southeast Vancouver Island to the Acadian forest of southwest Nova Scotia. It was sad to be leaving the Pacific giants, but exciting to get to experience a totally new forest on the east coast.

For 9 years I enjoyed exploring the wet, mossy forests of the Pacific coast. During that time I created a blog, Vancouver Island Big Trees, and published over three hundred posts sharing my big tree experiences.

Since arriving in the Acadian forest I have been learning about this unique and stunning ecosystem. 

Initially we had to adjust to the size difference between Pacific and Atlantic forests. The forest in Nova Scotia seemed so... small.

After a while my eyes adjusted, and I could see that what my new forest lacked in sheer size, it easily made up for in diversity and beauty.

There was also an age adjustment to be made. The oldest trees on the west coast can be over 1000 years, while an ancient on the east coast might get "only" get to  see 400.

While I look forward to having many more experiences in the Acadian forest, I already have seen enough to know that this is one of the most incredible forests I have ever had the pleasure of exploring. 

What I like, is that this is not like the boreal forest to the west, nor is it like the northeastern coastal forest to the south. It is a small patch of something unique and wonderful.

Acadian Forest Big Trees will share some of the beauty I see, and the things I learn while out and about in the forest around my home. It is my hope that the posts in this blog will demonstrate why the Acadian forest is worth saving and protecting.




Big tree in the Acadian Forest near my new home in southwest Nova Scotia.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Out!

Have your say on Acadian Forest Big Trees.